Follow these 8 steps to protect your pipes this winter.
- Repair and seal cracks around windows and doors that can allow cold air to reach indoors.
- Seal around Pipe Openings to prevent cold airflow.
- Remove, drain, and store outdoor hoses and close inside valves that supply outdoor lines.
- Open outside valves during winter months so that remaining water can expand without breaking pipes.
- Know the locations of the shut-off valve for your water supply.
- Keep the thermostat above 55 degrees even when traveling.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to give indoor plumbing access to warmer air. Allow faucets to drip.
- Monitor water-based fire protection systems.
Copyright © 2015 The Cincinnati Insurance Companies